Sunshine Too Brief

NYE_2008Portrait

All Contents copyright of
Tazzy at
tashuq78@gmail.com


I'm a self-absorbed Bengali-Torontonian;
Fish comes to me raw, wrappend in seaweed, not cooked in curry;
I love watching thunderstorms and rain;
Sad endings make more sense to me than happy ones;
I hate empty walls.

In the News

Craving of the week-
Dark Chocolate
Reading List-
Midnight's Children
Movie review(out of 5)-
127 hours- *****
Buried- ****
That Girl in Yellow Boots- **
Love of the week-
Seeing James Franco
Aim for the weekend-
Watch 'Going Postal' The Movie

My Novella: Samosa for the Arranged Souls

Introduction & Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapters 3, 4 & 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 6 continues

Chapter 7 & Epilogue


Archives
  • May 2004
  • June 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • May 2009
  • July 2009
  • October 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • July 2010
  • May 2011



  • Friends & Daily Reads

    Qeta
    Zee
    Isheeta
    Diane
    Samosa
    Brainy Jane
    Megaphone Diaries
    Third World View
    Daily Dose of Imagery
    Bangladesh Photography
    Postsecret
    Passive Aggressive Notes
    Fug Yourself
    @Tremendous News
    Global Voices
    Cake Wrecks


    Listings and Credits

    Powered by Blogger
    Blog designer @blogskins.com
    Daily Dose of Imagery for side-panel picture
    Flickr Beta


    Thanks! You are my visitor number,

    Sunday

    Samosa for the Arranged Souls Part VII


    Part VII: The Discussion

    Whether you have participated in the 'meeting of the prospective partner' or just received the 'Hello-you-don't-know-me-but-my-mom-thinks-I should -marry -you' calls, inevitably you'll be made to sit down with your parents to have the a post-date-discussion.

    Here is a typical conversation over 'chai and samosa' at home
    (SL=Sacrificial Lamb i.e. the legal aged Child and DP= Desi Parent):

    DP:"Sooo beta...what do you think?"
    SL: "Erm, I just spoke to him/her once and for 5 minutes. I don't know. He/she seems ok."
    DP:"Well I spoke to him/her aunt's sister and she says that the family is very keen. But of course its upto you. We just want to know what you thought. "
    SL: "Weeeellll. He is a little short/she seems a little too young"
    DP:"Oh thats not a problem. Without your high heels on, he is almost as tall as you/when she puts on some weight after marriage she'll look older"
    SL:"O-kay. But he has only been here for 6 months, he is a little too traditional for me"
    DP: "He seems perfectly ok. You are just too picky. You don't like anyone"
    SL:"Mom thats not true. You said the first guy smelled! And the second guy he lives all the way in New Orleans AND I only hung up on him because he said career women don't make good wives. Do you WANT me to stop being a doctor?"
    DP:"We are not saying that but you have to decide soon. You are getting older. We have to answer to the society too you know"
    SL:"Just what I need. The society deciding who I should marry. No thank. Can I atleast see him/her on my own again? Without-mom-trying-to-picture-us-at-the-temple?"
    DP:"Okay okay. Only once. Then you have let us know"



    Epilogue:

    So after going through all these MAM introductions, some are allowed to continue onto second dates or more involving phone conversations , peppered with updates to family.
    Some of the 'arrangements' fall apart and you are pulled back into earlier chapters with renewed vigor from your parents.
    Eventually the SLs do get married.
    Some even fall in love.
    Some lucky ones even stay together in love.

    "What? How? Why", you ask!
    Well, it probably has something to do with
    a) 'fear of commitment' and
    b) 'aspirations for intimacy'
    - Little of the a) and A Lot b).
    Combined with the chance that attractions can crop up in first meeting, some decisions almost seem pre-made.
    If someone is seriously ready to settle down and he/she is being MAMed, its not unlikely that they'll find 'the one' with MAM.
    If family is important to you and you want to marry into a family that gets along with yours- MAM works! Generally.
    "I liked how he was a strong but a kind person from the first meeting. He wasn't a player and he knew how to involve my family in everything. Yes I'm not in love with him yet, but I can see myself with him. And that's good enough for me. ", gushed the 25 year old newly engaged Amrita.
    "But what of love? and You don't know everything about him", piped in the 17 year old cousin of Amrita at their engagement ceremony.
    "I'm happier with a companion who respects me. . And you'll never entirely know a person anyway, doesn't matter how long you are with him/her", Amrita sensibly answered while rearranging the folds of her saree and then walked towards her partner-to-be amongst a gathering of people, everyone of whom has claimed a hand in 'arranging the match'.

    7 Comments:

    At 12:38 p.m., October 03, 2005, Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

    the ending made my feel sad.

    amrita's sensibility i mean.

    *sigh*

    been a crappy day so far

     
    At 12:41 p.m., October 03, 2005, Blogger Tazzy said...

    you and me both :(

     
    At 2:50 p.m., October 04, 2005, Blogger Shirin said...

    Is it really finished? How sad. I want more :-|

     
    At 7:41 p.m., October 04, 2005, Blogger Tazzy said...

    oh no shirin. as long as there are brown parents in this world, samosas will continue to be served. :D
    I have yet to post about the brown girl who got accosted at the dance floor of a brown party and admonished by her mother against dancing with prospective grooms milling about? how about the 'groom wanted' ads when.......oh another time then ;)

     
    At 10:19 a.m., October 05, 2005, Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

    oh u have to post about the other brown girl who got powdered and lipsticked and sareed into going to a dinner party, without being told she'd be checked out? Not that she's stupid and won't realize but hehe that's what the parents were hoping for anyway?:)

     
    At 5:15 a.m., October 07, 2005, Blogger Shirin said...

    Wow I can’t wait :-) And I see you’ve been busy posting a lot of stuff too! Since you’ve had all these long absences in between your posts, I had put you down as a once every two weeks bloger, but now look at you! Yeah baby :-) It’s a shame I have to go out now :-| I will have to have my read when I get back this afternoon.

     
    At 12:50 p.m., October 07, 2005, Blogger Tazzy said...

    hehe thanks shirin.
    yeah i'm not exactly the most regular of bloggers :P

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home