Sunshine Too Brief

NYE_2008Portrait

All Contents copyright of
Tazzy at
tashuq78@gmail.com


I'm a self-absorbed Bengali-Torontonian;
Fish comes to me raw, wrappend in seaweed, not cooked in curry;
I love watching thunderstorms and rain;
Sad endings make more sense to me than happy ones;
I hate empty walls.

In the News

Craving of the week-
Dark Chocolate
Reading List-
Midnight's Children
Movie review(out of 5)-
127 hours- *****
Buried- ****
That Girl in Yellow Boots- **
Love of the week-
Seeing James Franco
Aim for the weekend-
Watch 'Going Postal' The Movie

My Novella: Samosa for the Arranged Souls

Introduction & Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapters 3, 4 & 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 6 continues

Chapter 7 & Epilogue


Archives
  • May 2004
  • June 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • May 2009
  • July 2009
  • October 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • July 2010
  • May 2011



  • Friends & Daily Reads

    Qeta
    Zee
    Isheeta
    Diane
    Samosa
    Brainy Jane
    Megaphone Diaries
    Third World View
    Daily Dose of Imagery
    Bangladesh Photography
    Postsecret
    Passive Aggressive Notes
    Fug Yourself
    @Tremendous News
    Global Voices
    Cake Wrecks


    Listings and Credits

    Powered by Blogger
    Blog designer @blogskins.com
    Daily Dose of Imagery for side-panel picture
    Flickr Beta


    Thanks! You are my visitor number,

    Thursday

    On looking over your shoulders


    *Warning: A lot of sappy and lengthy self-reflections ahead *

    There is an old superstition in Bangladesh(and other places maybe), faithfully propagated by my mother of course, that says that if people are stepping outside the threshold of the house, you are to never call out to them from inside the house. If they look over their shoulders to answer the call, something bad will happen- to them .
    Like all superstitions, it's never been proven and is pretty silly when you really think about it- eg. What happens if the person is about to get run over or fall into the sewer (or manholes, as they are called in Bangladesh and with good reason too since the covers are usually stolen) just as he steps outside the door?!!
    Yes its silly.
    And yes I follow it.
    I've been conditioned to over the years!
    These days I wonder about the deeper meaning of this superstition.
    The idea, it seems, is that- you are to let people, who want to leave, go.
    No matter what they are leaving behind-
    Home.
    Family.
    Friends.

    Okay, so its about not holding people back in their journey.
    But what about the person doing the leaving? Do they have to fulfill some part of this superstition?
    What if no one is calling, but you feel like someone is calling out to you and you DO look over your shoulder to check.
    Is it bad then too?
    Readers be assured that I'm not pulling 'A Beautiful Mind' here.
    But if you are someone who always got dragged around from place to place, country to country all your life (To my count, I've been to 9 different schools in three different countries with three different language systems, before I finally went to University), you cannot help but take the thresholds you are crossing seriously. Even when the choice isn't yours, you still have to wonder if the place outside the threshold of, what until that point had been home, is going to be good or if its the right direction at all. Most importantly- having crossed it, can you ever go back? And if someone wants you to go back, should you?
    (gawd I'm dropping commas like autumn leaves there)
    Anyway, Bangladesh has always been a weird threshold for me.
    I was born there but I didn't grow up there, not entirely.
    I've been going back and forth over that threshold a number of times though and not only as a passing visitor.
    At one time in my life, I had considered it my home, even though I wasn't living in Bangladesh. And then, when I did live there as if it was a permanent home, I couldn't wait to get out.
    Maybe that explains the term- 'Motherland'.
    You love them, but can't wait to get out of their reach. Once out, you feel like you'll never be more at peace unless you are back under their loving touch even if for an instant.
    The cycle repeats.
    You can get mad at them for not understanding you, for being old fashioned and decide to never return; but at the slightest thought of danger/illness befalling them you'll fall apart.

    'Motherland' is not the same as 'Homeland', though.
    At least not to me.
    Kuwait was like the 'car-ride-home'. There was no loyalty there.
    Toronto, on the other hand, to me is 'Home' and always will be.
    I stopped being a child here and I'm still growing here. I understand it, it understands me. We work together and I feel a sense of ownership towards it. I'll forever remember the first snowflake I tasted or my first view of the city from the Island.
    But nothing in the element of Toronto binds me irrationally to itself.
    I don't and won't pine for its breeze, its tree shades, its sounds or grow an ache in the heart at the memory of running barefoot on its earth or even remember an entire lazy afternoon of listening to plays on radio in an instant of sunlight peeking through the leaves.
    I'll only do that with Bangladesh and it won't even matter if I'm in the north pole.
    Which brings me to my prolonged hesitancy in going to Bangladesh for a visit.
    Its been 9 years, 2 months and 24 days since I've been there.
    Surely I could have afforded it a long time ago - I went all the way to NZ for gawd's sake.
    I could have and still can take the time to do so.
    I'm not governed by my parents plans now either so I decide when/if I go.
    Still I hesitate.
    I tell everyone, including myself that its because I'm concerned that I'll get pressured into marrying some dweeb by my extended family.
    But its more than that.
    I'm afraid that I'll fall in love with my extended family again because I know first hand how truly wonderful they are .
    I'm also afraid of explaining how little I've done to improve anything there and at the same time hating all the changes that is sure to have happened.
    Mostly I'm afraid of realizing how rose-colored my memory of my 'motherland' truly is.
    Its simply a threshold that's far bigger than it looks and is only growing in height.
    Hopefull I'll have the courage to cross it one day.
    Can't be scarier than black water rafting.
    Probably.

    7 Comments:

    At 3:49 p.m., August 18, 2005, Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

    dude, this is one of the best pieces u've ever written - hands down. i think u pinpointed and articulated the dichotomoy of people like us, with strong enough ties to the desh, but then again, a completely different set of ties to other places. having said that, i do think it's time u start planning a trip to the motherland this february. ottawa trip went well - who knows maybe the Bdesh trip, i can make with u! :D

    i know i'd live there in a heartbeat if my family lived there.

     
    At 10:13 p.m., August 18, 2005, Blogger Tazzy said...

    hehe thanks girl :)
    I'm so sorry I couldn't talk to you for long :( you hv to call me from NY if you can and tell me more about Ottawa.

    A Bdesh trip in Feb together sounds just awesome......we'll have to hit the Boimela and mohila shommelon natoks if we do :D

    I need to start saving up again.

     
    At 2:46 a.m., August 20, 2005, Blogger banthehyphen said...

    hey, the post on the whole arranged marriage process was great.... hilarious

     
    At 6:11 a.m., August 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hmm...sun shine is not a brief matter...the sphere surrounding this particular shine has a diameter much bigger than a mere conceptions calling it "brief". About columns concerning reform and something good for the BD society....what good does such columns do if they yield no real result? You can go on bragging about women oppresion,student-politics and all that crap in bd, but carbonized-words aren't strong enough to cause even a miniscule stirr in reality. Sure they can cause intrigue and "aaweee" amids the intellectuals, but what good are the intellectuals for when despite their intellect, there's still rape,poverty,corruptioncastrated humanity and death of innocense.

    Sure, it man's nature to get entwined with trouble, to tango with anomaly...but in bd the magnitude is a little too much, the differences are too big,pollution is too mutated and the sky is too gray....the time is not for literary works, but something practical...which as far as I know, is just a mere illusion concerning the nature of the whole race of "bangladeshis"

     
    At 1:56 p.m., August 22, 2005, Blogger Tazzy said...

    Rubbersoul and Someguy,

    THANKS for dropping by!

    T.

     
    At 7:21 a.m., August 26, 2005, Blogger Pallavi said...

    Your concerns are understandable.. but how will you know all that if you do not try it ... :) go for it ... and revel in the surprise that is your land..

     
    At 1:58 p.m., February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm originally from bangladesh, but i've been living in Dubai since i was 4 years old(now i'm 13) and i'm really surprised of how much superstitious people of bangladesh can become. So, if i ever live in Bangladesh, i'll be sure not to get into these superstitions.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home