Sunshine Too Brief

NYE_2008Portrait

All Contents copyright of
Tazzy at
tashuq78@gmail.com


I'm a self-absorbed Bengali-Torontonian;
Fish comes to me raw, wrappend in seaweed, not cooked in curry;
I love watching thunderstorms and rain;
Sad endings make more sense to me than happy ones;
I hate empty walls.

In the News

Craving of the week-
Dark Chocolate
Reading List-
Midnight's Children
Movie review(out of 5)-
127 hours- *****
Buried- ****
That Girl in Yellow Boots- **
Love of the week-
Seeing James Franco
Aim for the weekend-
Watch 'Going Postal' The Movie

My Novella: Samosa for the Arranged Souls

Introduction & Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapters 3, 4 & 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 6 continues

Chapter 7 & Epilogue


Archives
  • May 2004
  • June 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • May 2009
  • July 2009
  • October 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • July 2010
  • May 2011



  • Friends & Daily Reads

    Qeta
    Zee
    Isheeta
    Diane
    Samosa
    Brainy Jane
    Megaphone Diaries
    Third World View
    Daily Dose of Imagery
    Bangladesh Photography
    Postsecret
    Passive Aggressive Notes
    Fug Yourself
    @Tremendous News
    Global Voices
    Cake Wrecks


    Listings and Credits

    Powered by Blogger
    Blog designer @blogskins.com
    Daily Dose of Imagery for side-panel picture
    Flickr Beta


    Thanks! You are my visitor number,

    Monday

    On Being Smart


    " You are TOO smart!"
    Someone very dear to me said it once.
    Before there's an outcry of 'what a conceited girl' against such a confession let me add that this wasn't a compliment but an admonishment. It was said as a part of a monologue, theorizing all my many faults starting with my stubborn nature to the cause of my apparent singlehood. When she was done, I wanted to assure her that I am not. Smart, that is. Then I wanted to know what her definition of 'smart' was. I also wanted to ask why she thought 'being smart' was such a bad thing. In the end, I said nothing. Sometimes I feel its easier to prove your stand to strangers you don't care about than to people you love and who claim to love you back.

    I've never forgotten the scolding though mainly because it wasn't the first time I was on the receiving end of such an admonishment and hence never stopped analyzing it either.
    Like most negative comments I think it arose from her own false belief that 'I didn't think she is smart', which is perhaps based on her definition of smart - i.e. getting good grades in school, a moderate knowledge of surroundings and ability to reason.
    What makes it even more interesting is that, by her definition, she IS smart girl herself. Which brings me to my theory that ' everyone is smart- about something or other'.
    Some about money, some arts, some in science, some about taking care of the needy (children, animals, elderly, sick) while some are smart about makeup that makes them look stunning every time no matter what they wear. Its undeniable that if you are smart about something you'll, perhaps, not be smart about other things. What adds the comparative adjective to 'smart' is, my belief, an attitude.
    As a simplistic example:
    If you are well-read and know that write well yourself, you are smart.
    If You are well-read and make the attempt at writing a book that makes even two people think that you write well, you are smarter (to your readers) than the person who knows that he/she writes well.
    There is also the matter of 'choice' that plays into someone appearing smarter.
    People, generally, choose to be smart about something and not about others.
    Take the example of 'World issues'. Its out there- in print, on television, on the net. Some people choose to find out more while some choose the 'ignorance is bliss' attitude.
    Just because someone isn't aware of the current ruling party of Palestine, doesn't mean they are not smart. Its their choice of not making themselves aware of the news that may appear to be 'not very smart'.

    The flip side to all of this is the 'I know I am smarter than you because I belong to such and such profession' attitude which doesn't make anyone appear very smart. Yet we do it all the time.
    "Engineers rule the world"
    "The not so smart ones pick Family medicine"
    "How smart do you have to be to pour coffee?"
    All such remarks seem to arise from the misguided notion that your way of making money is somehow an indicator of your smartness.
    In my own community I find it incredible; the length Bengali people will go, to associate themselves to a 'profession' that they think is socially accepted as 'smart', sometimes compromising their intrigity (lying about their degrees) and personal happiness("my parents want me to become a so-and-so"). And such unfounded opinions about 'smart' professions exist that, it boggles the mind.
    A popular story of my father that I grew up on used to refer to his university days when he and his engineering friends mocked the medical students about their pre-exam all-nighters memorizing anatomy, pharmacology etc. "Memorization is not intelligence" was his favourite phrase thus beginning our rare arguments. Come to think of it, it might be the sole reason why I never wanted to study engineering and became exceptionally good a memorizing school work. But I was also exceptionally good in math and hence paraded as the 'not pretty but smart' second daughter. All the while my father happily encouraged my childhood dream of studying medicine. It took the man more than a decade to concede that
    a) not everyone can memorize
    b) being just good at memorizing is not the only thing to becoming a doctor
    c) engineers are NOT the smartest people that ever walked the world
    Unfortunately such egotistic views are still upheld by many current engineering students - its also one of the numerous qualities that make them such bad dates for non-engineers. But that's the topic for another post.

    In the end, its not that I don't think that there aren't any 'smarter' people. There are.
    Someone like Einstein perhaps- a good combo of left and right brain. A romantic scientist. Not smartest ofcourse, or he might have had the foresight to not to hand his theories to government of a country at war. But that's neither here nor there.

    So where am I going with this longwinded rant?
    Perhaps to find ways to prepare myself against any future accusations or even compliments beginning with " You are a smart one- convince my child to do this thing that I think is good for them". I want to refuse such pre-conceived generalizations.
    Having said that, I rather die than appear dumb on purpose and stop learning something new just to get someone to like me.

    2 Comments:

    At 10:06 p.m., March 06, 2006, Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

    I've noticed that among Bengali ppl, beign smart for soem reason bring with it responsibilities and expectations. U are expected to be practical, and "wise", but u are also considered to be and headstrong and stubborn. For some reason, smart encompasses all these things in our culture. smart in Bangla often also means chalaak - clever, which somehow elicits a combination of envy and disdain. I still have a tough time figuring out why. Needless to say, my time in Bangladesh is waht gave me this perspective ...:)

     
    At 11:33 p.m., March 10, 2006, Blogger Shabina said...

    hehe, i think your friend was calling you a "smart-ass"...

    take it in stride, sista, take it in stride...

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home