Sunshine Too Brief

NYE_2008Portrait

All Contents copyright of
Tazzy at
tashuq78@gmail.com


I'm a self-absorbed Bengali-Torontonian;
Fish comes to me raw, wrappend in seaweed, not cooked in curry;
I love watching thunderstorms and rain;
Sad endings make more sense to me than happy ones;
I hate empty walls.

In the News

Craving of the week-
Dark Chocolate
Reading List-
Midnight's Children
Movie review(out of 5)-
127 hours- *****
Buried- ****
That Girl in Yellow Boots- **
Love of the week-
Seeing James Franco
Aim for the weekend-
Watch 'Going Postal' The Movie

My Novella: Samosa for the Arranged Souls

Introduction & Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapters 3, 4 & 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 6 continues

Chapter 7 & Epilogue


Archives
  • May 2004
  • June 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • May 2009
  • July 2009
  • October 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • July 2010
  • May 2011



  • Friends & Daily Reads

    Qeta
    Zee
    Isheeta
    Diane
    Samosa
    Brainy Jane
    Megaphone Diaries
    Third World View
    Daily Dose of Imagery
    Bangladesh Photography
    Postsecret
    Passive Aggressive Notes
    Fug Yourself
    @Tremendous News
    Global Voices
    Cake Wrecks


    Listings and Credits

    Powered by Blogger
    Blog designer @blogskins.com
    Daily Dose of Imagery for side-panel picture
    Flickr Beta


    Thanks! You are my visitor number,

    Thursday

    Professional Baker


    "Oh my gawd! It DOES smell like clementines!" I exclaimed as I chowed down on my third piece of cake in the morning the other day.
    "Er.. Its a Clementine Cake!", said the amused colleague of mine.

    Well ofcourse.
    I wonder if it is time to confess my not so secret crush on people who can bake.
    Seriously. I adore and worship them. Preferably behind a table while licking my fork.
    Baking is a mystery to me. I'll never understand how one can throw some eggs , butter, sugar and some innocent looking flour (which, I must stress, bear no resemblance to the final product), mix it all smooth, put it in the oven and after some mysterious amount of time, get scrumptious cakes, pastries, pies, cookies etc. And don't even get me started on the science behind why the cake doesn't taste like pie or vice versa ! What goes on behind the closed oven door none shall tell me. They don't teach it in schools. Atleast not at schools that I've attended.

    "Well give it a try. Look up some recipes and make a cake. They give you all the instructions. Just follow it", they say.
    Okay. Great.
    So I decided to make my favourite cake, 'Double Chocolate Fudge Cake', from scratch a few years back. It didn't actually turn out bad...because I did'nt make it alone. My very competent friend was making one with me using a similar recipe. Since I'm liable to forget all about the mechanisms behind the operation of a oven other than the fact it it'll 'TRING' me when its done playing with the heat wants me to take it out; she did most of the checking up on the cake-baking process. So I was encouraged with the result and not entirely disheartened that my friend's cake tasted so much better.

    Then I decided to make one for my mother's birthday. By myself. And due to time shortage it was to be an 'out-of-the-box' cake. Chocolate ofcourse. I mixed all the right ingredients and pour it into a nice pan and waited while licking up some store bought icing. I'm positive that my oven played some trick on me because when I pulled it out of the oven and served to my tired-just-returned-from-work-mom, I believe her exact words were "What is it?". It was surely not a cake or a pie. Since then, I've made several other attempts at baking much more simpler things such as cutting up the frozen Pillsbury cookie dough, place on baking tray and bake into burned crisp chocolate chip cookies or whip up some egg white+sugar combo into slightly orange looking meringue cookies and finally gave up.

    It has to be the 'not knowing what the oven is doing' part of baking as opposed to cooking that's blocking my path to turning into 'Best Cake Maker In the World'. Cooking on the stove I can manage- I know what's going in, what colour its turning, what the knobs are doing and if I hvn't wandered off to look at the TV, know when its burning- basically I can trace the steps.
    Not the case while baking desserts.
    I'll have you know, in my young years I was good cake maker- made all kinds of cakes infact - damp mud cakes with pink Hibiscus, dry mud cupcakes with orange peel, sand cakes that just melted in water....ah good old days when you had a birthday for yourself everyday!
    Anyway, its the oven business that's messing me up now. Meanwhile all my other 20 something friends are baking up a storm while knitting pink baby booties, I'm left trying to convince everyone that-
    a) who the hell wants to knit when there are people out there doing it for a living. Infact, I rather slowlyl poke my own eyes with a needle than ever touch a piece of wool....etc
    b) I make the best Shrimp-Coconut Curry in the world and that has GOT to count for more than making strawberry short cake !!

    Ooo.... there's talk of sugar pie arriving at the office in the next couple of days.
    mmmmm sugar pie.....
    Yes I love people who bake.
    Esp when they bake for me :D

    2 Comments:

    At 8:07 p.m., March 02, 2006, Blogger F.S.Kabir said...

    omg - i'm laughing so hard that my sides are hurting! hahahahah funny post :D it's even funnier because i know u havne't exaggerated ;-) ( I kid, i kid! - i think u'll be fine with baking! u already cook so well!)

     
    At 10:10 a.m., March 04, 2006, Blogger Tazzy said...

    hehe...yeah sure..when you'll start liking Fuchka *wink*

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home